18 October 2011

Daily Morsels-October 18, 2011

The Cure for Monstrum Incertitudinis-I feel like I am reposting everything Tullian Tchvidjian writes recently.  What can I say, his radical view of grace makes more and more sense to me the longer I am a believer.   He writes, "With this shift came a renewed focus on the internal life of the individual. The subjective question, 'How am I doing?' became a more dominant feature than the objective question, 'What did Jesus do?' As a result, generations of Christians were taught that Christianity was primarily a life-style; that the essence of our faith centered on 'how to live'; that real Christianity was demonstrated in the moral change that took place inside those who had a 'personal relationship with Jesus.' Our ongoing performance for Jesus, therefore, not Jesus’ finished performance for us, became the focus of sermons, books, and conferences. What I need to do and who I need to become, became the end game.

"Believe it or not, this shift in focus from 'the forensic to the pneumatic', from the external to the internal, has enslaving practical consequences."  Please read it here

Be Thou My Vision-Zach Nielsen has a great rendition of the hymn Be Thou My Vision.  Good stuff.  Give it a listen. 

2 Shows I will watch, if I have the time-These two shows are both about an hour long.  But I would love to watch them.  The first is a documentary on Charles Spurgeon.  The second is an animated reading of The Pilgrim's Progress. 

Common Objections to Divine Election-John Sanford takes on many of the common objections to divine election.  He addresses biblical verses including: John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:9, 1 Timothy 2:4, 1 Timothy 4:10, 1 John 2:2, John 12:32, and 2 Peter 2:1.  He also addresses several conceptual questions such as "if divine election is true, why should be bother to evangelize."  These are worth thinking through.

Jesus in a Pirate Hat-I read Wild at Heart.  It wasn't a terrible book.  Eldridge's new book, Beautiful Outlaw, seems a bit off the rocker, from what I have heard so far.  Tim Challies has been writing his thoughts about the book and he clearly is unimpressed.  He quotes Eldridge, who writes "My son was having a tough freshman year at college. So many students there are bound under the religious fog. It was a lonely fall, filled with misunderstanding. One afternoon, just after a classmate said something particularly hurtful to him, Blaine returned to his room and slumped onto his bed, about as low as a young man can get. He looked over to his desk, and 'saw' Jesus sitting there, in his desk chair, a smile on his face. He was wearing a pirate hat. Then he disappeared. A whiff of the Emmaus road." 

No comments: