16 January 2012

Daily Morsels-January 16, 2012

Satan desires disunity--Tim Challies has a great essay on the importance of unity in the church. Over the past 2 years, I have felt this need much more deeply and personally. We planted another church in a nearby city and there have been attacks on unity in that time. Commenting on Ephesians, Challies writes, "Paul knew that Satan is the great enemy of God and his people, and one of his enduring tactics to disrupt the church and to hinder our witness to the world is to bring about disunity. How does he do this? He does it by first eroding the love between brothers and sisters in Christ." I love the people I fellowship with.  I truly and deeply love them and I desire continued unity and community with them. My heart also aches for those that have left fellowship, desiring their restoration to the body.  I pray for them regularly.  Satan knows that if he separates believers from one another, they are less effective.


Your brain on technology--Mike Wittmer wrote an interesting article after reviewing several books on the effects of technology.  Some of these I see in my practice every day.  We are losing our capacity to think deeply because of the power of the net. 

Internet lessons--On a slightly different note, John Mark Reynolds shares his lessons over many years of being online.  There is a great deal of wisdom in this essay. Here are a few choice tidbits:
  • Some people are so overwhelmed they stop having opinions, at least in public. These sad souls, the Hamlets of the Internet, develop an open mindedness so great that it turns into intellectual cowardice. It is hard to grow when you will not stake out a position and think it through in dialog with other people. They can see all sides, but will commit to none and so they never see their own or others errors.
  •  The best way to dialog on the Net is to express strong opinions and argue for them. At the same time, write as if you are speaking to people created in God’s image. Change your mind. Lose arguments and admit when you lose, but keep trying.
  • Worst is to end up only reading sites that reinforce what I already think. It is easy to end up running in a circle of ten or so sources. With access to the intellectual wealth of ages, we limit ourselves to what we already know or believe.  This is a crime and stunts our growth. For every site that agree with me, I try to find a worthy opponent to sharpen my thinking. This helps me avoid intellectual isolation. 
Grace motivated dieting--I loved this short article on grace-motivated dieting by Mike Cosper.  Rather than following the latest fad or trend (what is it currently--eating beans, juicing, paleo), he encourages us to develop a different perspective, to seek wisdom, and to think long term.  There is a lot to be said for that, but to put it into practice.

Follow up on Family Worship--A few days ago, I posted a link to the first part of a series on family worship put out by RC Sproul Jr. Today the follow up appeared. Scripture memory, scripture, and prayer are here today. 

No comments: