31 March 2010

For the Love of Books


I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. ~Anna Quindlen

Recently, I have thought a great deal about the format for books. Electronic books, which are seemingly appearing everywhere, are simple to use, environmental
ly friendly, and convenient. Nearly any "book" can be downloaded within a matter of moments and for less money than traditional formats. Many e-readers can even read to you. They represent progress.

On the other hand, books are cumbersome. Each time I fly, I ask myself again why I felt it necessary to bring so many books, yet I often find myself in the possession of more for the return trip, further burdening my already tired briefcase.

By most accounts, I suppose, electronic books should be preferable. For me, though, I lament the advent of electronic books.

I love books. I am happily surrounded by them. As Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote, "No man can be called friendless who has God and the companionship of good books." In our home, books are everywhere. Some are found standing shoulder to shoulder. Others ascend in vertical stacks. Still others form lazy, disorganized piles. Each room contains a world of ideas.

As a reader, there is satisfaction in hearing the binding of a new book crackle to life, as you smell the ink for the first time and feel the pages between your fingers. As an author, there is a much deeper sense of fulfillment and finality when you see your name on a printed page.

I suppose that in the end, progress typically wins out. People become more interested in quickness than contemplation, ease than aesthetics, information than experience. I suspect I will come along slowly, but in the mean time, you will find me in a comfortable chair with a hot cup of coffee and a good book.

No comments: