24 July 2010

Troublesome words

Near the conclusion of the sermon on the mount, Jesus says, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (Matthew 7:21-23).

Every time I read this set of verses, I am troubled by them.  In the previous paragraph, it is clear that Christians are recognized "by their fruit", but here people are claiming to have been fruitful, yet still are cast out from God. As Christians, I don't think we can (or should) easily cast this verse aside.  What do you think it means?  What do you do with it? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Doc, my take on that scripture is this; Not all who say Lord, Lord will enter because they are putting their hope in all the things "they are doing" as the scripture says instead of what "He did" which is what his command is... to believe in God and the one He sent. I can go deeper but my faith and assurance is in Him and his amazing gift; not on cleaning up my sinful nature. Hope that helps. I'd be glad to discuss further if you like.

Your GoaDie friend Mr. Slim. (tracy@164pages.com)