22 November 2010

Move that Bus!

This post has been getting a lot of play around the blogosphere today.  Mike Cosper argues that the 3 most disturbing words on television today are, "move that bus!" made popular by Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. 

He writes:

Which brings me to the three most disturbing words on television: “Move that bus.”

Again, there’s no arguing with the warmth and altruistic sentiments of the show. The families who have been profiled always seem to be wonderful people, I don’t impugn them or the show’s creators with secret evil intentions. But a disturbing thing happens in the final moments of the show. After profiling the family’s suffering, after talking about hardship and perseverance, after recruiting an army of volunteers, the family is brought in front of the new home, which is hidden from view by a large touring bus. They count down and call out those three words, and the reaction can only be described as worship. There are tears and shouting while people fall to their knees, hands raised in the air.

Here it is on bold display: the ultimate hope of most Americans. It’s as though a phantom voice is responding to their suffering with the words, Well done, good and faithful servant. Here is your reward: dreamy bedrooms, big-screen TVs, privacy fencing, and wireless internet. We watch. We weep. And we hope for ourselves. It’s yet another gospel alternative, this one packaged as a heart-warming vision of the way life is “supposed to be.”

What say you reader?   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to say that this person has the wrong idea because I totally understand their point, but this show features families who don't have enough money to renovate their own home-who can't afford to do it themselves. If I didn't have enough money to renovate MY home,I would be VERY happy to have someone else be able to do the work for me,and aside from that pay for all the expenses. I would also get down on my knees because of the very reason I am happy and grateful for God's blessing-giving me a brand new-looking renovated home to live in and renovation I didn't have to pay for. Again, I understand the point being made and I'm not going to say it's wrong, because as Christians we all know God is more important than things, but you just have to put yourself in someone elses shoes sometimes to realize what those three words mean and how they are taken to heart in the lives of those who are unable to afford gifts from God that come in larger packages then they themselves can actually handle.

Jason Kanz said...

Anonymous,
I love the idea of gift giving. I really do. I found this article thought provoking because I am someone who has really appreciated the charity evident in this show.

Here is another question? What about the number of folks from this show who ended up losing their homes because they cannot afford the taxes and upkeep? Does the show have a role in helping them to maintain?

Do we as Christians have a role to maintain our charity rather than a 1 time gift of good cheer?

Kat said...

I appreciated your comment, Jason, about our responsibility to "maintain" our charity, instead of just handing someone a white elephant in disguise. In that respect, I think the Habitat for Humanity homes are a lot more realistic and give the new homeowner some sweat equity. A bit like teaching a man to fish instead of just handing him a lobster with no way to cook it.

Kat said...

As a postscript to my last comment--I think the whole "move that bus" worship mentality also says a lot about our rampant consumer culture. We demand cake instead of bread.

Turquoise Gates said...

I agree that the show has become too elaborate and large-scale where it used to do simple remodeling of an existing structure. However, I would argue that some families may actually be worshiping God for His provision through the work of people they don't even know. After years of suffering, what a relief to live in a habitable space. It must feel like the "double portion" He gave Job. Obviously not every family is Christian, but I often hear the words "Thank you, Jesus" as the first things coming out of those people's mouths.

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!" (Isaiah 52:7)