22 September 2013

Book Review: One Way Love

Last week, when I traveled to the world conference for the American Association of Christian Counselors, I was blessed to meet one of my favorite authors, Tullian Tchvidjian who was also a speaker there. Much to my delight, they had advanced copies of his latest book, One Way Love: Inexhaustible Grace for an Exhausted World (2013). I picked up two copies.

I have listened to many of the podcasted sermons by Tchvidjian and I have read all of his books and have deeply benefited from his ministry. I told him when I met him last week that he helped me to see grace in such a way that it has been changing my life.  He has a very high view of grace. Though his award winning book Jesus + Nothing = Everything is probably his best known book, to this point, I think that I have most deeply enjoyed Surprised by Grace, an extended meditation on the book of Jonah.  Having said that, I have a new favorite Tchvidjian book. 

One Way Love is, in my opinion, the clearest explanation of his view of grace. Tchvidjian notes that the role of the Law is to show us our inability and to break us, but that the law alone cannot do anything for us.  It is grace that empowers. It is grace that sanctifies. Tchvidjian revels in that grace.

I would highly recommend this book. It is an exceptional testimony to God's grace.

No comments: