15 May 2014

You Will Never Be Thirsty Again

Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.-John 4:14

Over my lunch hour today, I was reading and pondering about the Samaritan woman that Jesus meets at the well. In the heat of the day, he asks her for a drink, opening a conversation with her about Living Water, which is salvation and satisfaction found in him.  As I was thinking about this today, I began thinking about the notion of never being thirsty again. For most of us in the United States, I don't think this strikes the chord that it would have for the Samaritan woman. Five times today, I have walked to one of the five coffee pots within 30 seconds of my desk, pulled a black lever and filled my cup to the brim with steaming hot coffee.  In nearly every home in America, you can walk to a sink, pull a lever and get a cup of cool, clean water. Any time of day. So for us, its not really a big deal to be thirsty again.

But for the Samaritan woman and anybody living at that time, they knew what it was to thirst.  To get a jar of water was a challenge.  She maybe had to walk a long distance, carrying a heavy clay jar over uneven ground to the well.  Then she would have to draw water from the well with her strong arms and back, working up thirst in the process. To be told by this man that she would never thirst again meant something. The metaphor had real meaning to her, a meaning that may be lost on us. 

Like the woman at the well, Jesus will supply your deepest need, whatever it might be.

No comments: