21 August 2016

Daily prayer for transformation

In Romans 12:2, Paul admonishes us to avoid being conformed to the world, but to instead be transformed by the renewing of our mind. The difficulty for all of us is that we have to live in the world and are thus pressured into the world's mold. Passivity will not work; transformation takes intentional practice. Bible reading, silence and solitude, worship, and prayer are but a few examples. One of the practices I've more recently developed is that each morning, I try to pray through a list of traits I want to see growing in my life. The list started with Paul's description of the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5:22-23, but I have expanded it from there. Here is what I try to daily. Some days I am too distracted. Some days I only get part way through the list. Some days I simply forget. But God is gracious and patient.

I begin by spending a few moments trying to settle my mind. I am one of those people whose mind chases 10,000 thoughts and I have to purpose myself to be in the moment. It is so easy to find my mind wondering and wandering. Typically, I can calm my mind some before I begin this prayer, never perfectly, and sometimes not at all. On those days, quite frankly, I try to spend my time simply quieting my mind, which in and of itself is an important practice.

After I quiet my mind some, I begin to pray through a list of character qualities I want to develop in my life together with their opposites. As I am slowly inhaling, I will pray, for example, "make me more loving." As I exhale slowly, I will pray, "rid me of hate." I do that for each of the traits, or as many as the morning allows.

Here is my current master list.
  • Love--Hate
  • Joy--Pessimism 
  • Peace--Anxiety
  • Patience--Hurry
  • Kindness--Mean-spiritedness
  • Goodness--Evil
  • Faithfulness--Disloyalty
  • Gentleness--Harshness
  • Self-control--Impulsivity
  • Presence--Distraction
  • Truthfulness--Dishonesty
  • Humility--Pride
  • Other-Centeredness--Selfishness
  • Curiosity--Disinterest
  • Compassion--Cruelty
  • Wisdom--Foolishness
  • Justice--Unfairness
  • Passion--Indifference
  • Mercy--Callousness
  • Godliness--Ungodliness
  • Hope--Despair
  • Generosity--Selfishness
  • Beauty--Ugliness 
  • Thankfulness--Demandingness
  • Settledness--Frenzy
  • Perseverance--Apathy
This is a fairly long list and if you do not rush, it will take a while. In addition to taking a few moments to settle my mind, I have found a few other things helpful.
  1. Try to do this everyday, even if it is just a part of it. 
  2. Write down the list on a note card to reference as you are praying. The words will eventually begin to take root, but it takes some time and help. 
  3. Visualization can help. As I am praying each of the words, I will sometimes picture a color I would associate with each word. For example, peace may be white; cruelty, black. It can also be beneficial to picture plucking fruit from a tree associated with each word. 
  4. Listen.  If you are praying slowly enough, you can listen for and begin to hear the Holy Spirit. As you pray, what is He telling you? Sometimes, a certain word will trigger me and I will sit and ponder it for a bit--sometimes with curiosity, sometimes with confession. 
  5. Choose a word to bring with you for the day. If you are going to be interacting with difficult family, perhaps you meditate on patience. 
  6. As you conclude, thank God that He promises to sanctify you by His grace and ask Him to carry these characteristics forward into your day.
Finally, like all spiritual practices, you will not be perfect, but you will grow. Fruit does not appear on a tree fully grown. It takes time. Someone who is out of shape does not get up and immediately do an Ironman triathlon. He works up to it. We also train ourselves for spiritual growth. Dallas Willard introduced me to the concept of "training versus trying." Too many believers, myself included, try to do right and when we fail, we give up. Training expects failure as a part of growth. According to Proverbs 24:16, "the righteous falls seven times and rises again."

Train yourself for righteousness.
Train yourself to watch for the Spirit's movement.
And above all, thank God for His continual grace toward you.

If you want a Google Docs printout to put in your Bible, you can follow this link.

No comments: