20 December 2016

Raising Immanuel

I'm just a lowly carpenter,
building things of wood;
I put my heart and soul in this,
my buildings firm and good.

I've asked a girl to be my wife,
young Mary, sweet and kind;
a flower so pure and lovely,
I was blessed to find.

With longing anticipation,
I'll await our wedding day;
I'll protect the virtue of this girl
and keep my desire at bay.

The whisperings I hear in town
say "Mary is with child."
"It can't be true" I tell myself
my fears are running wild.

O God, I'm hurt and weeping
this pain, I cannot bear;
she dashed my heart upon the rocks
leaving fragments of despair.

Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace
I cry to you for aid;
the law says I should stone her
but I can't. I am afraid.

I will divorce her quietly
the most mercy I can show;
A woman deserving death
will just be left alone.

I'll buckle down, back to work
forget about our plans;
swinging a hammer is what I know,
not being a married man.

Tonight I dreamed a wondrous dream,
God's angel spoke to me;
rekindling my cooling fire,
he said "let the marriage be."

"Don't be afraid, strong Joseph
to take Mary as your wife;
the life that grows inside her
is the Messiah's life."

I awoke excited and with dread
the Christ will be my son;
what can this lowly carpenter
teach the Maker of the Sun?

I'll take the girl as my wife
we'll raise Immanuel;
"God with us" will live with us
the Savior come to dwell.

No comments: