06 March 2017

Dark is a disguiser of truth

In both my prayer book (Valley of Vision) and my Psalm reading this morning, the theme of light and dark showed up. Whenever I see the same theme in multiple sources in close proximity, and I notice it, I wonder what God wants me to see.

Dark, it seems to me, is a disguiser of truth. In it, one cannot see things as they actually are, so we make assumptions. But assumptions based upon what? Fears, for one. Evil whispers in the dark; sometimes it shouts.

"It doesn't matter what you do. God doesn't care."

"God doesn't really love you."

"If you were a true Christian, life would be easier."

"If you really believed in God, you wouldn't sin so much."

But listen...don't live in the dark. Choose to live in the light. Light is a revealer of truth, of goodness, of beauty. Only in the light can we see texture and color and shape. We begin to see things as they actually are.

God is light. In Him, we not only see Light Himself, but we are able to see all things illumined by Him.

Send out Your light and Your truth,
let them lead me. 
-Psalm 43:3

No comments: