15 August 2009

Banana Bread


Earlier in the week, Heather bought some bananas. Actually, a bunch of bananas--more than we would typically eat. What does one do with extra bananas except let them become overripe and then make bread, of course. I contemplated making a single large loaf for our family, but instead decided to make several small loaves to share with our neighbors. One neighbor, in particular.

I confess that following a recent uncomfortable interaction with this neighbor, I have had a negative attitude. In describing that conversation to several of my friends, I have not treated him honorably. Although I have not felt vindictive, just by presenting the story in the way that I did, I did not demonstrate Christ. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of tension in my few clipped interactions with the neighbor ever since, due in large part to my attitude, I am sure.

As I read the passage from Luke below, I was convicted to change my approach. Too often, in our fallenness, we treat others how they treat us, but that is not how we are commanded to act. Rather, regardless of how others deal with us, we are to deal with them consistently, in Christlike love.

Luke 6:27-31--“But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to the them."

No comments: