19 June 2010

They'll Be Watching

My son, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways. -Proverbs 23:26

I have been meditating on this verse all week.  It initially made me uncomfortable.  The writer of this proverb not only is aware that children observe their parents, he is asking that they do. 

I want my children to emulate many of the things about me.  I want them to have a passion for God and His word.  I want them to love family.  I want them to pursue knowledge.  I want them to be committed to church, hard work, and other people.  

But there are things about my character that, honestly, I would hope they manage better than I have.  Sometimes, I am too angry.  Sometimes, I would rather stick my nose in a book than get on the floor and play with my kids.  Sometimes, I willfully give in to sin.  

As I think about my children, it is easy to surmise that I want them always to see the good in me and never the bad.  

In spite of my sin, I hope that my children give me their hearts and let their eyes observe my ways.  I hope they see that a life mired in sin is covered by grace.  I hope they see a faithful life, even in dark places.  I hope they see that following Jesus is not always easy, but in the end it is worth the effort. 

2 comments:

Turquoise Gates said...

I loved this post on how to forgive/see good in our own parents. Maybe you can bookmark it for your kids 15 years from now! :-)
http://www.incourage.me/2010/06/why-we-all-need-to-forgive-our-parents-.html

Anonymous said...

Hey Doc, Great post! I will follow your lead and meditate on this scripture as well. Having kids is an awesome responsibility... but knowing God's will for me as a father is much more humbling. Hope you're doing well.

Me... aka... Mr. Slim