30 September 2010

Book Notes-September 2010

1. On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision (2010).  This book is essentially Bill Craig's "Apologetics for Dummies", yet I still felt too dumb to truly understand his depth.  Dr Craig is such a deep thinker who clearly reasons like a philosopher.  I deeply appreciate his views, particularly on the moral argument and the cosmological argument for the existence of God.  With that said, if I were a newbie to apologetics, I would get materials from Greg Koukl or Lee Stroebel instead as they provide just the kiddie pool that most of us amateurs need.  3.5 stars.

2.  Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt (2010).  When I started this book, I was immediately struck with the similarity to The Hole in Our Gospel: What does God expect of Us? The Answer that Changed my Life and Might Just Change the World and Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God.  Platt, the pastor of a large megachurch in the south, issues a challenge to American Christians.  He suggests that many churches in America are plagued with a desire for comfort, security, and self-sufficiency, which he notes is contrary to the gospel of Jesus which promises difficulty and persecution.  He urges readers to "give liberally, go urgently, and live dangerously."  When I read books like these three I mentioned, I struggle to reign myself in from cashing in my chips on the American dream and moving half way around the world proclaiming at the top of my lungs "to live is Christ, but to die is gain!"today.  But perhaps...perhaps...that is what God is calling us to do.  4.5 stars.

4. The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith? by John MacArthur (1988/2008).  This book is not for the faint of heart.  Near the end of the book, MacArthur refers to himself as a controversialist in that he brings up challenging things because he refuses to abandon the gospel.  The premise of this book is "lordship salvation."  In other words, MacArthur argues that although salvation is by grace alone through faith alone, a saved person's life will necessarily show evidence of increased sanctification and holiness.   To be clear, he does not believe that perfection will be, or even can be, obtained on earth, but that when a person is born again, he is truly a new creation who will look differently to the world.  He flatly denies the concept of "carnal Christianity" and spends much time raising a challenge to those who would claim Christ as savior, but fail to claim him as Lord.  4 stars.

5. The Pursuit of Holiness [PURSUIT OF HOLINESS] by Jerry Bridges (1978/2006).  On the book's jacket, Charles Colson wrote, "I believe this is a modern classic. Few books have had the influence on me that this one has."  Although I have yet to see the influence in my life, I pray that it does.  Bridges wrote an exceptionally readable, but important book about holiness.  Holiness is a concept that many Christians do not understand, perhaps because it is not often addressed in churches today.  I found myself eager to read more and apply what I was reading.  This is probably amongst the top 5 Christian books I have read (certainly top 10).  5 stars.

6. Doctrine: What Christians Should Believe (RE: Lit) by Mark Driscoll (2010).  Doctrine has a different flavor than other books he has written. It is an overview of several major categories of Biblical doctrine (e.g., creation). He clearly shows his hand theologically, which is not unexpected with any sort of systematic theology. There are many points where I agree with him, some where I don't, and some where I think there is simply a lot of mystery yet. I have preferred other books of his more than this one, but it is worth reading, particularly if you are looking for an accessible systematic theology. 3.5 stars.

7. Spectacular Sins: And Their Global Purpose in the Glory of Christ by John Piper (2008).  This book, as Piper's books so often do, highlight the perfect sovereignty of God.  Piper reviews many of the "spectacular sins" of the Bible such as Joseph's betrayal by his brothers and Jesus' betrayal by Judas and he talks about how God ordained those actions all for the glory of Christ.  This short book is unique in its focus, but a worthwhile read. 4 stars.  

No comments: