22 September 2010

The Cost? My life

I found myself walking down a road.

     On each side
          storefronts,
                selling my sins
each beckoning me to come
     selling lust,
          selling gluttony
               selling pride.
Each promising to meet my deepest needs
     my deepest desires.

The cost?
     My life.

I visited the shops,
     I sampled their wares.
          I became "a regular"
          They gave what I "wanted"
               yet I was left wanting.

I did not know what to do.
     I sat down
          I squeezed my eyes tightly
          I tried to block out the sounds
               still beckoning me

As my desire grew...
     again
I would return...
     again.

Then He showed up,
     He beckoned me, saying,
          "My child,
          do not shut your eyes,
          do not close your ears,

          "Instead,
               look at Me
               listen to My voice.

     "I promise to meet your deepest needs
          your deepest desires

"The cost?
     My life."

3 comments:

Turquoise Gates said...

I like it. I assume you wrote it?

Jason Kanz said...

Yeah, It's me. I love poetry, though admittedly, I do not have much of a craft for it. Still, I like to try my hand once in a while.

Turquoise Gates said...

Follow Piper in the poetry department. Somehow you seem like "soulmates" in the Godly-man-poet category. :-) Love you guys!