05 September 2011

Book Review: No Other Gospel

I received Josh Moody's No other gospel: 31 reasons from Galatians why justification by faith alone is the only gospel for a couple of reasons.  First, I gave a message on legalism this summer and the book of Galatians was central to my teaching.  Second (and probably more importantly) it was offered as a free choice through Crossway's Impact program

Moody's book is based upon 31 sermons he delivered on Paul's letter to the Galatians.  As I worked my way through, I began to conceive of it as a commentary of sorts--not technical, but pastoral--in the same vein as RC Sproul's recent expositional commentary series. Often, modern books based upon sermons do not read well, but this book did.  Moody is a clear communicator who has a firm grasp upon the gospel.  He makes use of his broad knowledge of culture to provide useful illustrations of Paul's message to the Galatians.  It reads well as a devotional book, but it will be shelved with my commentaries, as that seems the best fit.  4 stars. 

No comments: