03 September 2012

Book Review: The Hole in Our Holiness

I like Kevin DeYoung and so I pre-ordered his latest book, The Hole in Our Holiness (2012).  DeYoung issues a stern warning to Christians who ignore the pursuit of holiness for whatever reason they may cite.  He writes, "No matter what you profess, if you show disregard for Christ by giving yourself over to sin--impenitently and habitually--then heaven is not your home" (p. 14).  He goes on to suggest that the pursuit of holiness, or obedience to God, is at the heart of the Great Commission.  He further seems to caution against the stream of the current "gospel centered"movement that says that if we truly understand the gospel, we will by extension grow in holiness represented by writers like Tullian Tchvidjian, Michael Horton, Paul Tripp (and I would say Martin Luther).  Some of his caution is appropriate, I believe, to avoid antinomianism (lawlessness).

Someday, I want to read a book like this and feel hopeful.  Too often, the message in books like this is that 1) growth in holiness is a part of the Christian life, 2) BUT you are truly justified by faith alone, 3) BUT keep the rules, and 4) IF you are not, maybe you are not really a Christian.  It is hard to feel like I am measuring up to God's requirements  after reading a book like this (here's a hint: I'm not, which is why I am fully dependent upon the blood of Christ). 

On the whole, I do think this is a good book.  I do think that Christians must consider whether they are truly pursuing righteousness.  I do think that good trees bear good fruit.  I do believe in progressive sanctification, particularly as described by David Powlison (which DeYoung talks about later in the book).  His chapter, "Saints and Sexual Immorality", is particularly good.  I wish I had read it, and lived it out, before I married.  I am glad that I read it now.   So is his discussion of union with Christ.  These two topics are worth the price of the book.

Still, though I believe that the pursuit of holiness is absolutely essential to the Christian life, I agree with the guys at the White Horse Inn that we must understand that before understanding our responsibilities (imperatives), we must first understand what Christ has done for us (indicatives) and continue to go back to the cross again and again when we are unsure.  I would recommend this book, but perhaps encourage you to read it alongside something by Tullian Tchvidjian (e.g., Surprised by Grace) and pray for grace and growth in holiness. 

No comments: