06 September 2012

Majority of Christians don't read their Bibles daily

One of the spiritual disciplines I am most thankful for is that of daily Bible study.  A few years ago, one of my pastors was talking about how much Bible study had a positive influence upon his life and so I decided to get more serious about it.  I can truly say a daily time in the word is one of the greatest blessings in my life.  The majority of churchgoers do not engage in this activity however.  A recent study from Lifeway research has shown that only 19% of churchgoers read their Bibles daily (frankly, I am surprised it is that high).  40% of churchgoers read their Bibles a few times a month or less often. 

I was recently listening to a question and answer session from Ligonier Ministries and R.C. Sproul was asked by someone in the audience, "do you think it is sufficient to read your Bible once or twice a week?"  Without hesitation, he said, "No."  He went on to explain the importance of feeding on the word of God on a daily, ongoing basis.  I heartily agree with him. 

For clarification, we do not read our Bibles to earn favor with God, but rather to learn more about the one whom we profess to love and worship.  We cannot know God without knowing what He says about himself through His holy word.  We do that by reading. 

Here are some verses to consider. 

     I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
     I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.-Job 23:12

    But he answered, “It is written,
    “‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
        but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”-Matthew 4:4

    Blessed is the man
        who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
    nor stands in the way of sinners,
        nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
    but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
        and on his law he meditates day and night.-Psalm 1:1-2

    How can a young man keep his way pure?
        By guarding it according to your word.
    With my whole heart I seek you;
        let me not wander from your commandments!
    I have stored up your word in my heart,
        that I might not sin against you.-Psalm 119:9-11
(Actually, you should read all of Psalm 119--It might be a good place to start)

If you are not sure where to start, go here.  Or you can try the one I just put together. 

No comments: