07 March 2015

Book Review: Dangerous Wonder

Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith (1998) by Mike Yaconelli calls us back to a childlike faith. Christians, saved by God's scandalous grace to a life of wonder, are too often dour, dispassionate people having forgotten what God has done. One of the fruits of the Spirit is joy.  Where is our joy? 

Yaconelli writes of curiosity, wonder, abandon, playfulness, quiet listening, passion, terror, and naivete as characteristics to cultivate and not destroy.  We are Christians, not Pharisees.

I have now read two books by Yaconelli: Dangerous Wonder and Messy Spirituality and I have been deeply moved by both of them. One particular story in Dangerous Wonder brought me to tears. In the chapter, "naive grace", Yaconelli told the story of an alcoholic man and abusive father who was leveled by grace. I won't share particulars, because I want you to read this book and find what I did.

If you have grown up in the church or consider yourself a "good Christian", Yaconelli will make you uncomfortable. And that's a good thing.

No comments: