31 January 2010

Book notes-January 2010

I have seen a few bloggers recently providing brief notes about the books they've read. I find their lists provide me suggestions for new things to read. Plus, Kevin DeYoung commented that it helps him keep track of what he has read. Finally, I have had several people ask for book recommendations.

Here are my January books.

1. Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Don Whitney. In his forward, JI Packer stated that this is a book that she be read three times in succession. I agree. Whitney describes many different spiritual disciplines (e.g., fasting, prayer) rooting them solidly in the Bible, yet also provides practical advice for how to incorporate them. I'll probably read it again next month. 4.5 stars.

2. The Hole in Our Gospel by Rich Stearns. You can read my more extended review here, but briefly Stearns, who is the director of World Vision, issued a stern call for action. He asks us to really dig deep and think about how we are serving the poor. Best book of the year, so far. Not sure it will be dethroned. 5 stars.

3. Vintage Jesus by Mark Driscoll. In his typical style, Driscoll uses his knowledge of contemporary culture and solid theology to talk about Jesus. A worthwhile read. 4 stars.

4. Forgotten God by Francis Chan. Chan's sophomore offering was very good. He discusses the Holy Spirit and how He moves in our lives. He talks about how different churches approach the concept of the Holy Spirit (some flat out ignoring Him, some casting aside orthodoxy in favor of the Spirit only). You can check out more here. 4.5 stars.

5. Discover Your Spiritual Gifts the Network Way by Bruce Bugbee. OK, is this really a book, or just a booklet? It is a mere 65 pages. I decided to include it because I thought it was the best approach to understanding spiritual gifts that I have read. I really liked the inclusion of observer ratings. 4 stars.

6. NoS Diet by Reinhold Engels. This book describes a no-nonsense approach to weight loss. You eat 3 meals per day--no sweets, no snacks, no seconds--except on days that begin with S. Except on days that begin with S (Saturday, Sunday, Special days). I have lost about 20 pounds this year so far following this. Nearly all the information is available on his website. 3.5 stars.

7. An Uninvited Guest by Jeana Floyd. Heather asked me to read this book, which was written by a breast cancer survivor. It helped me to understand Heather's perspective on this journey. 3.5 stars.

8. Chosen by God by RC Sproul. At our small group recently, we got into a discussion about predestination much too late at night. I have always taken a more Calvinistic (rather than Arminian) view of predestination. This book was written by an Arminian turned Calvinist who is now the poster boy for the Reformed view. This book helped me to understand the Calvinist view a little better (and why most Reformed thinkers reject "hyper-Calvinism"). Definitely worth a read. 4 stars.

If you are going to read one book from this list, read The Hole in Our Gospel.

No comments: