03 February 2010

For the love of reading

Today, Trevin Wax had a post on setting a reading goal. He had many good suggestions.

Here are the things I would suggest:

1) Read widely. Trevin suggests this as well. I think it is beneficial to read in multiple genres. Read someone who disagrees with you. Read fiction. Read biographies. Read academic works.

2) Read out loud. Certain books just cry to be out to be read aloud. Children's tales, for example (hey read to and with your kids). I also read passages of the Bible outloud when I am trying to catch the meaning better.

3) Have access to a dictionary. A book I am currently reading is fond of using the words illocutionary and perlocutionary, which reminds me I need to go look them up.

4) Read with a pencil in hand. Write notes in a pad or right in the book.

5) Talk to others about what you are reading. It will help you to encode it and may encourage them to read.

6) Read actual books. Reading on the Internet, in my experience, leads to skimming and a cafeteria approach to reading. Go deep. With paper.

7) Don't be afraid of old men (or women). Don't be afraid to read old books. They often have a lot to say. Start with the Puritans.

No comments: