19 May 2010

Terminal

Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow. -Psalm 144:4


A few days ago, my mom told me that my dear uncle has colon cancer. Yesterday, she called me to tell me that an MRI revealed cancer in his lungs, liver, and lymph nodes and that the clinical picture is grave. Stage 4 cancer. Terminal cancer.


I too am grieved by this news. Though I treasure time spent with him, I do not get to see him as often as I would like. His calm spirit and love for others draws people to him. For as long as I have known him, he has loved God and treasured his family. He desires unity with others and when unity does not occur, it affects him deeply. He lives out the gospel in service to his church, to his family, and to anyone who might need a hand without any expectation for recompense. I suppose for that reason, alongside my tears of grief flow tears of inexpressible joy that my uncle is saved. My uncle will one day soon, whether weeks from now or years from now, be face to face with Jesus.


Suffering and illness seem strangely present in our lives over the past couple of years. Not only was Heather diagnosed with breast cancer seven months ago, but many friends of ours have been faced with frequent, painful trials (see here for a taste). These trials we face have led to a lot of introspection, a recognition of what is truly important in life, and a sense of urgency to tell people about what is important.


Jesus.


Jesus is all that is important. The only hope we have in this life and the life to come is in Jesus (Acts 4:12). I truly believe that my uncle knows that Jesus is everything. Sadly, I don't believe that everyone reading this believes or lives like Jesus is all that matters. Including some of my family and friends whom I love dearly. And knowing that some of you may not be in heaven with me grieves me much more deeply than knowing that my uncle has terminal cancer.


We are all terminal. Every one of us. We will all one day die and when we do, we will either get to spend eternity with Jesus, or we will spend eternity in hell, separated from God. Please, please, please do not read what I have written here and say to yourself "oh, Jason's uncle sure is a good man" or "that Jason is such a thoughtful writer" and go on about your day (James 1:23-24). Let yourself be uncomfortable. Ponder the fact that my uncle's life, my life, your life is a breath.


Take some time to look into the mirror of your soul. Too many of you believe that because you are good people or go to church or grew up in a Christian home that you are going to heaven some day, if you even bother to think about heaven, or God, at all. Your goodness is not a ticket to heaven. God's standard for you is perfection. Romans 3:23 says, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." That's right. You. Me. Sinners. We fall short of God's standard and we all deserve death. Romans 6:23 says, "the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Our only hope is through accepting that free gift of grace that was offered to us while we were yet sinners (Romans 5:8). Romans 10:9-10 tells us how to receive this gift: "if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." If you don't know how to pray or are not sure if you are saved, or if you have questions about Jesus, please contact me. Do not wait another minute. There is nothing more important.


I urge you to watch the video I posted below. It is of a young man named Zac Smith who died of cancer 2 days ago. His message should be a wake up call to all of us about what is important.


I love you and I'm praying for you uncle.


No comments: