10 February 2012

Getting away

But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray.-Luke 5:16

A few times recently, I have happened across verses pointing out that Jesus would take time to get away to pray. He made a regular habit of getting alone to talk with the Father. He was sinless--he was God--and yet the gospel writers are clear to tell us that he made time to commune with the Father. 

My world is rarely quiet. When quietness is upon me, I fill it with things other than prayer. I tend to read when it is quiet, or check facebook again.  I do not purposely seek out times of solitude and prayer, however.

As I have been reflecting upon this today, I wonder what arrogance I bring that leads me to believe that I do not need times alone to pray when it was clearly important to the Sinless One. In looking at it another way, I believe his focused prayer helped keep him from sinning. 

How well do you do with times of prayer in desolate places? 

Daily Reading: Luke 5, Deuteronomy 15, Ephesians 1, 2 Thessalonians 3, Job 25, Psalm 21, Proverbs 21, 2 Chronicles 24, Amos 1, Romans 3

No comments: