30 May 2012

Book Review: Thinking About God

I first heard of Greg Ganssle's Thinking About God: First Steps in Philosophy (2004) on Stand to Reason several months ago.  When I signed up as an STR Ambassador, they sent me this book.  I read it on the trip to Haiti last week. 

When I was there, a young Haitian man named Ricardo asked me about the book and if I was a Christian. I told him that I was, and explained that it was a wonderful introduction to asking questions about God, origins, and the philosophy of religion. When I finished reading it, I gave the book to him. Before I left, he had read the first chapter and he said to me, "this book will encourage me to think about God and think about the world."  "Yes!" I said. 

That is a reasonably good summary of the book.  Ganssle sets out to introduce the reader to how to ask good questions about God, origins, and other issues relevant to the philosophy or religion.  He admits within the first chapter or two that he is a Christian, but works hard to look at the issues in an objective way.  It is a very readable introduction and relevant to anyone interested in apologetics.  He uses concrete examples to flesh out abstract concepts. 

I will definitely have to buy another copy. 

No comments: