24 July 2012

A slow bumpy ride

Here are some things I have been thinking about today, after a short interaction on Facebook (I love you all who were engaged and I appreciate the push back).

"My problem is sin" I heard someone on the radio say today. I found myself nodding in agreement. How could I not? I am a man mired in sin.  Psalm 51:3 says, "for I know my transgressions and my sin is ever before me." This is my favorite psalm. I read it often. Today I wrote it, word for word, in my journal.

There is just one answer to sin. Jesus Christ. In fact, Romans 5:6 tells us that "Christ died for the ungodly." Though my problem is sin, Christ died for me, bearing the penalty I deserve. Further, the salvation I have accepted is available to anyone who believes in his heart and confesses with his mouth (Romans 10:9). Anyone can be free.  What does it mean to believe in your heart? I think it means an acknowledgement that you are hopelessly sinful and that you know Christ is the only hope for redemption. This is truly available to anyone.

In the Great Commission (Matthew 28), Jesus tells his disciples to go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to obey all that he commanded.  Well, now what does that mean? Yes, we are saved by grace, praise be to God! It is available to anyone who will accept the free gift.

Yet Jesus tells us to make disciples and teach them to obey him.  What are Christ's disciples to obey? It's important to note that salvation is free, but also to note that God desires for us to be sanctified, to be made holy (1 Thessalonians 4:3).  He saves us while we are in the muck, but he doesn't want to leave us there.  As a Christian, I believe God asks me in the Great Commission not only to tell people about the good news of Jesus Christ, but also to show them what being a follower of Christ involves. 

Often, amongst evangelicals, holiness is an unpopular concept.  We like salvation, but we don't like submission.  As a Christian, I want people to see that God not only wants to save you, he wants to make you holy and that means accepting him as Lord. 

If you truly believe him in your heart, he will make sure this happens. It may be quick, but more than likely, it will be a slow, bumpy ride for most of us. 

No comments: