25 August 2012

A psalm and a prayer for sinners like me

In my quiet time this morning, I came across two passages that really struck me and are worth meditation.  Every day, I am a sinner in need of mercy.  I am often amazed at the depths of my own sinfulness, so sure I should "have it together" by now.  Alas, I do not, but God was gracious in sending his son to die in my place. 

Psalm 130
    Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD!
        O Lord, hear my voice!
    Let your ears be attentive
        to the voice of my pleas for mercy!
    If you, O LORD, should mark iniquities,
        O Lord, who could stand?
    But with you there is forgiveness,
        that you may be feared.

    I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
        and in his word I hope;
    my soul waits for the Lord
        more than watchmen for the morning,
        more than watchmen for the morning.
    O Israel, hope in the LORD!
        For with the LORD there is steadfast love,
        and with him is plentiful redemption.
    And he will redeem Israel
        from all his iniquities.

Prayer for Spiritual Growth
O THOU MOST HIGH,

In the way of thy appointment I am waiting for thee,
     My desire is to thy name,
     My mind to remembrance of thee.
I am a sinner, but not insensible to my state.
My iniquities are great and numberless,
     but thou art adequate to my relief,
          for thou art rich in mercy;
          the blood of thy Son can cleanse from all sin;
          the agency of thy Spirit can subdue
          my most powerful lusts.
Give me a tender, wakeful conscience
     that can smite and torment me when I sin.
May I be consistent in conversation and conduct,
     the same alone and in company,
          in prosperity and adversity,
          accepting all thy commandments as right,
          and hating every false way.
May I never be satisfied with my present spiritual progress,
     but to faith add virtue, knowledge, temperance, godliness, brotherly kindness, charity.
May I never neglect
     what is necessary to constitute Christian character,
     and needful to complete it.
May I cultivate the expedient,
     develop the lovely, adorn the gospel,
     recommend the religion of Jesus,
     accommodate myself to thy providence.

Keep me from sinking or sinning in the evil day;
Help me to carry into ordinary life portions of divine truth
     and use them on suitable occasions, so that
          its doctrines may inform,
          its warnings caution,
          its rules guide,
          its promises comfort me.

-Valley of Vision

No comments: