27 August 2012

May the Mist Remain

I went for an early walk this morning. The sky was clear and the air was cool.  I find morning walks to be a good time to reflect upon the character of God, the Creator of the heavens and the earth.  Even my neighborhood with the skies at heights I cannot reach is beyond human comprehension. The extent of God's cosmos is vast and yet he also attends to sub-atomic details, working them all together in his power to create a beautiful canvas each morning.

I walked past the school.  Soon, the playground will be filled with children, returning to their studies, but today, above the green grass, there was just a dense mist, perhaps three feet deep. It covered the entire expanse of grass and  I was struck by its beauty. Then, however, I realized that in just a little while, perhaps an hour, this mist will be gone with no trace of it left.

That led to reflecting upon God's word. In the morning, I bask in God's word.  I see the beauty of what he reveals and it is encouraging and uplifting.  Too often, though, later in the day the word that held such deep meaning for me disapates. I no longer intentionally behold its beauty.  As a Christian I am thankful that God's mercies are brand new every morning, but it is a discipline to keep them in mind.  I pray for strength that I might behold the beauty of His word amidst the stresses of the day. 

    The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
        his mercies never come to an end;
    they are new every morning;
        great is your faithfulness.
    “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul,
        “therefore I will hope in him.”
-Lamentations 3:22-24

No comments: