14 March 2013

Book Review: The Gifts of Imperfection

I want to offer just a snapshot review of The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown (2010).  Brown is a shame and authenticity researcher in Texas who was brought to my attention through a video of her TED: Houston talk where she addressed the issue, "the power of vulnerability."  As I professionally and personally continue to explore the issue of shame, her work is of interest to me. 

In this short volume, she introduces her readers to her research into "Wholehearted Living."  Using qualitative research methods, she explores the components that seem to contribute to authenticity.  She provides the reader with 10 guideposts for Wholehearted living.  The first, for example, is Cultivating Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think.  As I read this chapter and reflected on the people that I am most drawn to, I have realized that authenticity seems to be a large part of that attraction.  Perhaps that is why I am drawn to Rich Mullins; he seemed authentic to me. 

On the whole this was a good book.  There were a few areas where I would probably view things differently, but it is a worthwhile read. 

1 comment:

Turquoise Gates said...

My favorite Brene Brown quote:
Faith is not an epidural. It is a midwife standing at your side saying, "I know it hurts. Push harder." She is an amazing speaker if you ever get a chance to go to one of her lectures.