11 March 2013

The Exhausting Burden of the Law

Tullian Tchvidjian wrote another winner.  This comes from his upcoming book, One Way Love: Inexhaustible Love for an Exhausted World.  He shares an excerpt from a letter he received:

The person wrote, "Over the last couple of years, we have really been struggling with the preaching in our church as it has been very law laden and moralistic. After listening, I feel condemned with no power to overcome my lack of ability to obey. Over the last several months, I have found myself very spiritually depressed, to the point where I had no desire to even attend church. Pastors are so concerned about somehow preaching 'too much grace' (as if that is possible) because they wrongly believe that type of preaching leads to antinomianism or licentiousness. But, I can testify that the opposite is actually true. I believe preaching only the law, and giving little to no gospel, actually leads to lawless living. When mainly law is preached, it leads to the realization that I can’t follow it, so I might as well quit trying. At least, that’s what has happened to me."

Although I believe we must preach the whole counsel of God, including the commands, it must be grounded in a message of grace and mercy.  I have said it many times before, but if you are going to err, err on the side of grace.

No comments: