26 May 2013

A Fly in the Ointment

The other day, I saw this picture and I thought, as much as I love coffee, I think I might have to take a long fast from coffee if I were ever to see this.  For what it's worth, I don't know if this is a real picture, but just the thought of it makes me shudder.  The coffee would be gone.

Ecclesiastes 10:1 says, "Dead flies make the perfumer's ointment give off a stench; so a little folly outweighs wisdom and honor." Perfumer's ointment is something that smells good.  It is desirable, but something small can make it undesirable, even repulsive. This verse tells us that like those small bugs that can turn something good into something repulsive, "a little folly" can outweigh wisdom and honor.  In other words, a person who is otherwise well thought of, wise, and honorable can mess it up by engaging in just a little folly. Harsh words, adultery, a critical spirit, selfishness--any of these things can lead to becoming a stench to others.  We should seek to be above reproach and be quick to confess sin and seek forgiveness when we stumble. 

No comments: