13 March 2012

Discarded books

I have a confession to make. Sometimes, I just do not want to finish reading a book I have started, yet I feel conflicted. The conflict for me is that once started, I think that I should finish.  I ask myself, what if the author still has something to say that I need to read? What if he is just slow in getting to his point. So often, I continue to slog through, hoping to find some nuggets of wisdom, hoping the book may be redeemed. Too often, the redemption never comes and I am left with feelings of dissatisfaction (with the book) and relief (that I am done).

Last night, I picked up John Piper's God is the Gospel again. I was on page 107. I have been trying to read this book for weeks. I have read some rave reviews.  Further, I love John Piper and consider him to be one of the most influential authors on my own thinking. I love the Gospel. I love Jonathan Edwards, who is a focal point of this book.  It seems like a no brainer and yet, I just cannot connect with the book. 

And so I put it back on the shelf, perhaps to pick it up again at a later time.  Perhaps not.

As I have reflected upon books, I have realized that I have several mental categories.

Hard books--There are some books that are enjoyable to read, yet are cognitively difficult to process.  They take mental work.  I would put Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion in this grouping. I have been working on the Institutes for well over a year and I am about half way through. It is a book that requires a lot of brain power, not because Calvin is an obscure communicator, but because he is a deep thinker and his writing takes deep thinking.

Right book, wrong time--I have several books that I have started only to set them aside because I do not connect with them.  I may pick them up again at a later time and find that I devour them.  I suspect Piper's book mentioned above will fall into this camp.

Badly written books--There are some books that are poorly written.  The author may not communicate well or have a clear sense of direction.  Perhaps the author takes too long to get to her point. This limits the readability of a book.

Books with a bad message--I think of health and wealth writers.  They may communicate clearly, they may have a compelling message, but they may vary from theological uninformed to outright heresy.  It is not edifying to read books like this.

Good books--There are some books that are a joy to read, communicate clearly, and edify the reader. Books I would put in that category for me are Desiring God by John Piper, Luther's Commentary on Galatians, and Gospel Wakefulness by Jared Wilson.  There are numerous others.

I am trying to grow in the practice of reading things that I actually enjoy and learn something from. I want to get to the point where I feel okay with setting a book aside for a time...or for good.  The book's feelings will not be hurt.  There are millions of books out there; find something you like and read it.

No comments: