16 August 2012

Book Review: Not The Way It's Supposed To Be

For the Centurions Program, one of our required readings is Not the Way It's Supposed to be: A Breviary of Sin by Cornelius Plantiga Jr. (1996).  I had not previously heard about this book and I am left wondering why.  This book is, in a word, exceptional.  In fact, if you look at my sidebar, you will discover it has been added to my list of "must read" books. 

Plantinga's book sets out to explore and develop a theology of sin. In the preface, he wrote "my goal, then, is to renew the knowledge of a persistent reality that used to evoke in us fear, hatred, and grief. Many of us have lost this knowledge, and we ought to regret the loss." He does not stop, though, at the devastating nature of sin. He moves on in the next paragraph. "So the broader goal of this study is to renew our memory of the integrity of creation and to sharpen our eye for the beauty of grace." 

There is a section of about 5 pages, beginning on page 34, entitled "Spiritual Hygiene" that I read to my wife in total.  I often read her snippets of what I am reading, but this one was particularly long.  In it, Plantinga addresses the concept of spiritual flourishing. Though I would love to reproduce the whole thing here, I won't for sake of space. Still, I want to provide a flavor.  He comments that the spiritually whole person "longs for God and the beauty of God, for Christ and Christlikeness, for the dynamite of the Holy Spirit and spiritual maturity...She longs for other human beings: she wants to love them and be loved by them... She longs for nature, for its beauties and graces, for the sheer particularity of the way of a squirrel with a nut. As we might expect, her longings dim from season to season. When they do, she longs to long again."  

Though just a small taste, I hope what I have shared will lead you to want to read this book.  Plantinga's list of referenced works is broad, his writing sharp, and his wisdom deep.  I cannot recommend this book strongly enough.  If money were no object, I would love to buy a copy for each and every one of you dear readers.  I look forward to the next time I may read it. 

No comments: