28 February 2010

Book Notes-February 2010

1. The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande (2009). Gawande, who wrote his first book during his surgery residency, is a masterful writer. Although this book was not as good as his previous 2, it is still a worthwhile read discussing the importance of using checklists. 3 stars.


2. The Great Divorce by CS Lewis (1945). In this brief story, Lewis presents his view of the afterworld. From it comes the excellent quote, "There are only 2 kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'" 3.5 stars.

3. Foundations for Soul Care: A Christian Psychology Proposal by Eric Johnson (2007). Johnson wrote this proposal for a distinctly Christian psychology. It has taken me nearly a year to read, but it was well worth my time. I had to read it with a dictionary in hand, but I appreciated his deep command of the Bible as well as modern psychology. He seems to be on to something and I cannot wait to see how this "Christian Psychology" develops. 4 stars.

4. Words from the Fire by R. Albert Mohler Jr. (2009). Dr Mohler writes of the importance of the 10 commandments to modern day Christians. I appreciated his approach to teaching these and plan to study them more myself. I particularly liked his thoughts on the 3rd commandment, which entails not taking the name of God in vain. 3.5 stars.

5. The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan (1678). Although I struggled with the language of this book, not often reading works from the 1600s, it is a beautiful Christian allegory, firmly rooted in scripture. I understand why this was once the second most widely read Christian book after the Bible. It is a worthwhile read for all believers. 4.5 stars.

6. The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes (1630). I came across this title as I read the Eric Johnson book mentioned above and saw it mentioned a few times since. It was almost suggested as a Puritan approach to depression. Although I can see its application to that, it is a much broader book in my opinion. I found many worthwhile ideas and quotes as I read this brief, but excellent book. 4 stars.

7. Who is Jesus? by RC Sproul (1983). I received this book as a part of a set for making a donation to Ligonier ministries. It provides a good apologetic regarding the life of Jesus. 3 stars.

If you are going to read one book from this list, read the The Pilgrim's Progress. It is a classic.

No comments: