07 February 2010

Let My Words Be Few

A sarcastic person has a superiority complex that can only be cured by the honesty of humility.-Lawrence Lovasik

For all of my life, I have loved to talk. With people, around people, at people. As a young boy, my mother had a shirt for me that said "Motomouth" and people laughed often because it was true. I don't ever recall a time when this was not true. I have always been quick to speak.

Unfortunately, with a quick tongue often comes impetuousness. Speaking, before thinking, can lead to trouble. As a junior high and high school student, I was occasionally subjected to attacks by older students because I would make what I felt were quick-witted, comedic comments. I have a way of quickly spotting verbal inconsistencies in people and can turn a phrase to make a joke out of nearly anything. This "ability" was often my downfall. I inherited this skill from my father; get-togethers are peppered with witty observations, often at the expense of others.

This is the heart of sarcasm. It literally means "to tear the flesh." I have previously written on this topic, noting my appreciation for gentler sarcasm (if there is such a thing), yet issuing a caution that we must be careful with our words.

I still struggle with this most days. My default setting still calls up sarcastic comments. At times I still make them, though through God's grace, I have done so less often. I continue to work on being slow to speak and quick to listen--to God and to others. I have been amazed at how much more likely people are to open up when they feel heard, rather than criticized.

Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. To draw near to listen is better than to offer the sacrifice of fools, for they do not know that they are doing evil. Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. For a dream comes with much business, and a fool's voice with many words.-Ecclesiastes 5:1-3