07 March 2012

Book Review: Scripture as Communication

I am currently taking my third class through CCEF, Biblical Interpretation.  For this class, Jeannine Brown's Scripture as Communication (2007) was required reading. I must first confess that this was a difficult read for me.  I did learn a great deal about principles of hermeneutics of which I was largely unaware. For example, she discussed in great detail the importance of authorial intent, the response of the hearer, and so forth. I admit that I settled in a bit more when she started discussing language, genre, and so forth. This is a good book and the author asks good questions, but for most people who are interested in learning more about hermeneutics, there are some other more basic texts that would be appropriate. 3 stars

No comments: