30 March 2012

Boromir, The ring of power, and a jackpot

I really appreciated Tim Kimberly's thoughts on the huge lottery jackpot that now exists.  It is over 500 million, I have heard.  He clearly expresses many of the thoughts that I have had.  I have wondered how many people, even those who know about the often unfortunate futures of lottery winners, think they will be different.  How many believe they will not succumb to the many problems that so often accompany these huge winnings. 

I was particularly struck by this paragraph:  "But couldn’t I give all the money to charity?  Yes, I’ve been thinking about this scenario.  I win $500+ million dollars and pay off my house.  Once my house is paid off I set aside a tiny bit for retirement and my children.  I then give 99% of it to charities making a real difference.  If people hit me up for money I can honestly tell them the money is gone, it’s all been given away.  I do not trust, however, that scenario.  I feel like a human looking at the ring in Frodo’s hand and saying, 'Give it to me.  I’ll take good care of it. It won’t corrupt me.'  Every good parent withholds certain things from their children.  We don’t give them a pound of twizzlers, it will make them sick.  Likewise, I believe it is usually the grace of God to withhold this kind of money from his children."

Read the whole thing and consider wisely before buying that ticket.  

No comments: