09 May 2015

Celebrating Mother's Day on Good Intentions Road

I told a good friend of mine tonight that tomorrow, I just might win the award for worst son of the year. Tomorrow is Mother's Day and I forgot to send my mom a card. My mom loves cards. I thought of it on Thursday and Friday and again today, but alas, I dropped the ball. Mom, you probably know by now that you won't be getting a card by tomorrow.

What is worse is that tonight was the dance recital for my kids and I didn't invite her. It wasn't that I didn't want her here; quite the opposite, I love it when she is here and so do Heather and the kids.  We cherish her presence. Much like the card, I suspect I always thought I would have time or maybe that Heather would take care of it. 

Mom, I am sorry I didn't send you a card and I am even more sorry that I forgot to invite you to the recital. For future reference, you are always welcome to come to it. I love having you here.

But here's what I want to say, I love my mom deeply. She has always been one of the most important people in my life. From my earliest years, she was my best friend. Even now, I love to talk to her--it is one of my highlights--even though it seems it is never often enough. She showed me what it is to love fiercely. She showed me what it is to have compassion on people regardless of the hand they were dealt. She showed me what it is to put others first, to live with other-centeredness.

In many respects mom, I want to be like you when I grow up--to be someone who puts others first, who loves without condition, and who shaped me into the man I am. 

I love you always, even if I do forget to send you a card. 

No comments: