14 December 2012

The beginning and the end of Habakkuk

Friends, take some time and reflect on Habakkuk today and pray for the murdered children of Connecticut today...and the rest of the children that are murdered throughout the world everyday that slip past our consciences.  God, give us hearts that cry out to you for comfort in the midst of iniquity and that rejoice in your sovereignty in all things. 

Habakkuk's Complaint
    O LORD, how long shall I cry for help,
        and you will not hear?
    Or cry to you “Violence!”
        and you will not save?
    Why do you make me see iniquity,
        and why do you idly look at wrong?
    Destruction and violence are before me;
        strife and contention arise.
    So the law is paralyzed,
        and justice never goes forth.
    For the wicked surround the righteous;
        so justice goes forth perverted.
-Habakkuk 1:2-4

Habakkuk rejoices in the Lord
    Though the fig tree should not blossom,
        nor fruit be on the vines,
    the produce of the olive fail
        and the fields yield no food,
    the flock be cut off from the fold
        and there be no herd in the stalls,
    yet I will rejoice in the LORD;
        I will take joy in the God of my salvation.
    GOD, the Lord, is my strength;
        he makes my feet like the deer's;
        he makes me tread on my high places.
    To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments.
-Habakkuk 3:17-19

No comments: