17 July 2011

Book Review: How Should I Live in This World?

This was the last of five "crucial questions" books I received from Ligonier Ministries.  In this short volume, Sproul asks the question "how should I live in this world?"  Essentially, this book is an exposition of Christian ethics and morality.  He spends a bit of time discussing the folly of an ethical worldview from a post-modern, relativistic mindset.  Near the end of the book, he makes his case for three issues that Christians face: abortion, capital punishment/just war, and materialism.  Though he makes his cases succinctly (abortion: no, capital punishment: yes, materialism: no [but wealth: OK]), there are inherent difficulties in providing such a short essay.  In particular, it is difficult to provide a nuanced answer to some very difficult questions in just a few short pages. 

Overall, I was satisfied with this book, and with the series overall.  Sproul is an exceptional thinker and communicator.  I have had the pleasure of reading several of his books and listening to many of his teachings.  If you want just a taste of his writings, this may be a good place to start, though I would rather put my recommendation behind books like Chosen by God. 3 stars. 

1 comment:

Turquoise Gates said...

So excited for you! You are still in our prayers, specifically about adoption. My kids will be jealous that you get to have a baby from Haiti.

Love in Christ,
Gen