08 July 2011

Book Review: The Shallows

I finally finished The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr (2010). I purchased this book last year, having seen a review on Tim Challies blog.  The essence of the book is that the increasing dominance of the Internet is having a considerable effect upon our capacity to focus and think deeply.  Further, the author cites numerous research studies examining the psychological and neuropsychological effects of the Internet.

Practically, this book resonated deeply with me.  I have discovered, in my own life, that with increased time on the web, my capacity for focus has diminished.  More broadly, I have seen numerous patients who complain of attention problems, but I suspect their primary issue is that they live in a world of distraction.

In future years, I suspect we will see increased attention to this issue.  With all of the benefits offered by the Internet, the wise person will employ discernment in how it is used.4.5 stars.

No comments: