16 July 2011

DVD Review: The Reason for God

I just finished watching this DVD based upon Tim Keller's book, The Reason for God.  It involves a conversation between Keller, a pastor and author and six nonbelievers.  There are 6 segments, each of about 20 minutes addressing the following questions: 1) Isn't the Bible a myth? Hasn't science disproved Christianity 2) How can you say there is only one way to God? What about other religions 3) What gives you the right to tell me how to live my life? Why are there so many rules? 4) Why does God allow suffering? Why is there so much evil in the world? 5) Why is the church responsible for so much injustice? Why are Christians such hypocrites? 6) How can God be full of love and wrath at the same time? How can God send good people to hell.

As I expected, this DVD was rather slick.  Everyone dressed in business shades (blues, blacks, creams) and seated in contemporary furniture.  I was pleasantly surprised by the civility of the conversation.  It was evident there were a few people with a fair amount of emotion surrounding Christianity, but everyone was able to talk in a gentle, kind fashion.  Keller was rather Socratic, spending much of his time asking questions, though offered a few opinions on issues. 

I enjoyed this DVD, but not for the reasons that I expected.  I anticipated solid apologetic arguments.  They were there, but were not presented aggressively or dogmatically.  Rather, Keller was the definition of winsome.

No comments: