11 July 2011

Book Review: Slave

I finally finished Slave: The Hidden Truth About Your Identity in Christ (2010), written by John MacArthur.  I was very excited about this book when I first heard it was to be published, though I received it at a time when I started several other books.  Reading a handful of books at the same time, I read the first few pages, and then shelved this one not due to any flaw in the book, but rather due to my attention spread to thin. 

A few days ago, I picked Slave up again.  This time, I found it difficult to set down.  MacArthur explores in depth the Greek word doulos, which is often translated as "servant" in modern Bibles, but which is better translated "slave."  He contends that Christians are bought with a price, purchased from the bondage to sin and become slaves to God.  Although what he presents is rather shocking to contemporary ears, his message develops more fully as the book progresses, demonstrating that not only are we slaves, we are also sons of the Father. 

Slave appears in many regards to be an extension of his incredibly popular, if not controversial, The Gospel According to Jesus (1988), a book that argues that easy-believism is no belief at all.  True Christians see Jesus not only as their savior, but also as their Lord.  Slave is definitely worth reading, though I have appreciated other MacArthur books more. 

3.5 stars.

No comments: