13 December 2013

My Top 5 Books for Nonbelievers

On Breakpoint Radio, Eric Metaxas is sharing his Top 5 Books for NonbelieversThe Colson Center has asked several of us who are interested Christian worldview to put together our list of the Top 5 Books for nonbelievers. Here are my recommendations. 

Notes From the Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World by ND Wilson.  Wilson is a writer's writer.  This book combines breathtaking beauty with a sound defense of biblical Christianity.  Reading Wilson's words evokes both thought and emotion. 


 The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller.  Tim Keller is an amazing communicator of biblical truth and The Reason for God provides a thoughtful defense of biblical Christianity in a humble, intelligent way.  Like most authors, I do not agree with everything Keller wrote here, but his ability to help the reader think through important issues shines through. I suspect this will be an apologetic classic for the foreseeable future. 




Tale of the Toboggans by Christian Schmidt. Tale of the Toboggans is about one young Christian's struggle with a rare form of cancer, rhabdomyosarcoma, and his increasing reliance upon God.  Whether one is a believer or not, this book is deeply moving. I found it difficult to set it down because the author so capably drew me in.  I suspect those who struggle with unbelief, particularly as it relates to suffering, will be encouraged by this young man. 

All is Grace: A Ragamuffin Memoir by Brennan Manning. When I first read a book by Manning, which was The Furious Longing of God, I did not know quite what to make of him.  He spoke poetically about the beauty of God's grace and I kept asking myself, "can this be true?". As much as I enjoyed The Furious Longing for God, my recommendation for a nonbeliever would be Manning's autobiographical memoirs, All is Grace. Written near the end of his life (he died earlier this year), he described a life broken by alcoholism and abuse, but gripped by grace.  To the end of his life, Manning was a champion of God's grace.   


Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Prophet, Martyr, Spy by Eric Metaxas. I need to begin my final recommendation with an important qualification: though Metaxas's recommendations on Breakpoint prompted this post, I was under no compulsion from Metaxas, Breakpoint, or the Colson Center to make this recommendation.  Why do I recommend it then?  I am recommending Bonhoeffer because it is a superbly written biographical account of an amazing man.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer was uniquely positioned during World War II to speak out against Hitler and he did so despite intense persecution.  His convictions were deeply grounded in his well-formed biblical worldview.  Any fan of history or mystery will no doubt love this book.

Once again, my kind friends at the Colson Center are providing for a blog giveaway.  Between now and December 31st, if you comment upon this blog post, comment upon my post on Facebook, or retweet on Twitter, you will be entered for a drawing for $25.00 gift certificate for the Colson Center Bookstore.  This is a great giveaway.

What are your favorite books for nonbelievers?

*The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of the Colson Center. Giveaways are sponsored and paid by the Colson Center unless stated otherwise.

2 comments:

Mindy P. said...

I think three fabulous books are "The Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel, "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, and "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom. Although I have not read the first two (I know, I keep meaning to!), I have heard wonderful things about them. And "The Hiding Place" is hard to argue. You have to sit back and marvel at how someone continued to trust in God in the midst of such horrific acts, whether you are a believer or non-believer.

Anonymous said...

I have to laugh at the above comment of recommending two books she hasn't read! Lol!!! I would recommend Brennan Manning. All his books are wonderful and great resources. Also, "Seeing Yourself through God's Eyes" by June Hunt is a great and short book about identity. I love sharing this with people I work with in the prisons.