23 December 2013

These are a few of my favorite things for Bible Study

On New Year's Eve, I will have a list of my favorite books of the year, but I thought I would put together a list of some other favorites of mine.  Well, one's a book.

Legacy ESV Bible
I like Bibles. I have several of them.  Over the last few months, I have been fighting against buying a Gospel Transformation Bible, also by Crossway, because it looks pretty cool.  But my Legacy Bible has replaced my ESV Study Bible as my daily reading Bible.  Why?  It's a thing of beauty.  No study notes. Crisp white pages. Single column format. Large margins for notes I want to write.  Mine is in Tru-Tone, but leather would be even better.

Your Bible is a sword, choose one that you can handle with elegance.

If you are looking for a reading plan to go with it, try this one

Moleskine Journal
The large ruled notebook from Moleskine with the soft cover is a great accompaniment to the Bible. You can write notes, thoughts, ideas. Interact with the text.  Write your prayers.  (Here's a tip--Moleskine's are pricey, go to Walmart and buy a knockoff.)





Pigma Microns
You need pens to go with your journal and your Bible. Pigma Microns come in a variety of sizes. They are archival ink (they won't fade) and with small enough tips, they won't bleed through. In my Bible, I use the .01 for underlining and the .005 for writing notes in the margins.

The 5 + 1 plan
I have recently started using YouVersion to listen to 5 Psalms and 1 chapter of Proverbs per day.  It takes about 10-15 minutes. If you do this faithfully, you can get through the Psalms and Proverbs in 1 month. 

Devotional
Let's finish out the list with a devotional.  This isn't a devotional per se, at least not what you typically think of as a devotional.  It is a book of Puritan prayers called the Valley of Vision.  Read the prayers and meditate on the beauty of God.


No comments: