26 October 2010

Turn on your light this halloween

Michael Patton writes a great post on how we, as Christians, can respond on halloween. 

A choice quote:
  • I can’t believe I am going to say this but, WWJD? Really, what would Jesus do? Can you see it? Jesus with his lights turned off on Halloween? That would be the Jesus history never knew. That would be the Jesus of western fundamentalism. The one who is not a friend of sinners and tax gatherers. The Jesus that was never accused of being a drunkard. The Jesus who looked from a distance at the wedding of Cana waiting for the sinners to wipe the dust off their feet before he talked to them. The Jesus who saw a child dressed up as a Ghost and said, “I can’t take this anymore. It is not worth it. Give me that stone so that I can turn it into bread.”
 This is an issue I have long struggled with.  Take time to read the whole thing if for no other reason, to engage your mind.  I would also encourage you to read the comments as the comment threads on Parchment and Pen are often lively and challenging.




1 comment:

Turquoise Gates said...

Very good thoughts. We are active Halloween participants, and have received some flack for it. My thought is: when my kids are anchored daily to the Rock, they can recognize the hollowness and adolescence of a pagan holiday that does not ring true when compared to the celebrations that glorify Creator God, Baby Jesus, and Truth. I firmly believe participating in Halloween shows a spirit of acceptance and lack of fear and can be a very positive experience for the little Christians I am raising. :-)