01 January 2011

Bible Reading Plans-Overview

The primary way of gazing on Christ is through his Word.-John Piper

In this season of resolutions, many of us look to turn over a new leaf.  In addition to the steeled resolve to lose weight and regain control of out-of-control spending, a common resolution for Christians is to read the Bible more regularly.  Perhaps this describes you.  You may own a Bible, but you don’t read it regularly.  You may read in fits and starts as the mood (or perhaps the guilt) strikes you.  Maybe you do read your Bible regularly, but you are looking for a fresh start.  Over the next week, I am going to share several approaches to reading God’s word.  There are dozens of available options.  I will discuss what I hope is a representative variety. 

Before getting to the plans, it will be beneficial to consider why studying God’s word is important.  Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”  It is important that Christians not view the Bible as simply a book.  Rather, it contains the words of God that teach us about Him and about us.  In it, we learn of our depravity and hopelessness and discover that our only hope for salvation is found in the person and work of Jesus Christ.  I believe it is also important not to view the Bible as an index of moral rules that will help us become better people but rather as God’s redemptive story in which He allows us a role. 

In addition to teaching us about God and about ourselves, God’s word serves to increase our joy.  During his high priestly prayer, Jesus prayed, “But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves” (John 17:13).  Jesus shared with his disciples that they may share in his joy.  In the Bible, we get to read his words and so we too may share in his joy. 

Earlier in the post, I wrote how the Bible is not an index of moral rules, yet scripture does provide guidance for how to live.  We read that “All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17).   All of scripture, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, are profitable for us as we grow in righteousness. 

Here are some final thoughts:
  • Commit to a time each day to read and study God’s word.  I personally find that I benefit most when I start my day with devotions.  When I do this, I do not become distracted by life and I start out the day on the right foot.  I am also a morning person, so I particularly benefit from seeking God first thing in the morning.  If you dread studying in the morning, study in the afternoon or evening, but commit yourself to doing it. 
  • Like many disciplines, it may be difficult at first, but the longer you study, the easier it will become.  I suspect if you commit to regular study of God’s word, you will find that it becomes the most important time of your day.  Be patient with yourself.  Proverbs 24:16 says, “the righteous man falls seven times and gets up again.” 
  • Find what works for you.  Ask several people what they do for their quiet times so that you can get an idea what people do.  However, simply because someone else uses a certain plan does not mean you need to.  Choose a plan that helps you to get into God’s word.
“Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law” (Psalm 119:18).

No comments: