02 January 2011

Bible Reading Plans-The Random Flip

This first approach is not really a plan, but I suspect is the most common.  When I first started reading my Bible, this was the approach I employed.  My internal dialog would go something like this, “Well, I should read my Bible.  Hmmm…what should I read?  I will just flip to middle somewhere and start where my finger falls.  What?!? Habakkuk?  The prophetic literature is so boring.”  I would read a few verses to assuage my guilt, but rarely felt edified.  I also recall Gwen Shamblin, of Weigh Down fame, recommending this technique, suggesting that this was the best way to allow the Holy Spirit to lead her. 

Strengths:
  • It doesn’t take any real planning.  As long as you have a Bible, you just flip and read. 
  • I guess it could be a way the Holy Spirit will guide your reading, though I personally have never felt this way.
Weaknesses:
  • It lacks any formal structure for reading and understanding God’s word.  The lack of structure will make learning any of the information quite difficult.
  • It is much too easy to read the Bible as a series of random proverbs or moral suggestions rather than as a redemptive story that weaves its way through 66 books. 
  • You will likely cover some material much more often than others by nature of the way you flip, though not in any formalized or useful way. 
  • I have never found much consistency or longevity in this approach.  
All in all, I personally would avoid this approach.  If it works for you, keep doing it, though I suspect you would not be reading a post about Bible reading plans if it was working for you. 

“How can a young man keep his way pure?  By guarding it according to your word”
(Psalm 119:9).

No comments: