03 January 2011

Puritan resolution

Jonathan Edwards, one of my three favorite theologians named John, famously had a list of resolutions that he would read over once a week.  I find these both encouraging and challenging in this new year.  I have included my favorites, though you may read all of them here. 
  • Resolved, that I will do whatsoever I think to be most to God's glory, and my own good, profit and pleasure, in the whole of my duration, without any consideration of the time, whether now, or never so many myriad's of ages hence. Resolved to do whatever I think to be my duty and most for the good and advantage of mankind in general. Resolved to do this, whatever difficulties I meet with, how many and how great so ever.
  • Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life.
  • Resolved, never to speak evil of anyone, so that it shall tend to his dishonor, more or less, upon no account except for some real good.
  • Resolved, that I will live so as I shall wish I had done when I come to die.
  • Resolved, to study the Scriptures so steadily, constantly and frequently, as that I may find, and plainly perceive myself to grow in the knowledge of the same.
  • Resolved, in narration's never to speak anything but the pure and simple verity.
  • I frequently hear persons in old age say how they would live, if they were to live their lives over again: Resolved, that I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age.

No comments: