22 June 2012

My 500th post-an anthology


I wrote my first blog post here in 2007.  It was about black bean burgers.  In 2009, I “reimagined” the blog, focusing more on issues related to the Christian life.  This is my 500th post and to mark the occasion, I decided to highlight some of the things I have written about during that time. 

First, a bit of navigation. You will notice that my blog has a group of words on the left panel of all of the labels I have used over the years.  The topics that I have written most about seem to be: books, the 3650 challenge (reflections on a reading program), marriage, parenting, sin, and suffering, though there have been many other themes as well. 

July 18, 2009--I was reflecting on Brother Lawrence, who wrote, "God knows best what we need. All that He does is for our good. If we knew how much He loves us, we would always be ready to receive both the bitter and the sweet from His Hand. It would make no difference. All that came from Him would be pleasing."

July 18, 2009--I started my reflections on Russell Moore's Adopted for Life.We had started the the adoption process, but Tessa hadn't come home yet.  Who knew how much she would rock our world?  

July 22,2009--I had just read Jon Acuff's blog post, "Welcome Home Banners."  Acuff wrote, ""Forgiveness is the thing I ask for the most. In my head maybe I know that God’s forgiveness is eternal and inexhaustible but in my heart I feel like He’s going to run out of it. That He’s got a limited supply. And I’m burning them up, one by one, sin by sin." I still go back to this essay for encouragement. 

July 25, 2009--I wrote a post entitled "Urgency". I was reflecting on the pain evident in Heather's life waiting for Tessa to come home. Interestingly, she had been having some pain that wasn't healing.  She was diagnosed with cancer a few months later. I often wonder if this was precursor.  

August 2, 2009--I wrote a post entitled "Tarnished Heaven". I think this is still personally one of my favorites. I was trying to help myself and others to see that God is really much bigger than we imagine.  I wanted to write a word of encouragement for those who somehow imagine heaven will be boring.  

October 16, 2009--I wrote the first cancer post.  Five days prior, Heather had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  I had no idea what the next several months, and even years, would truly entail. 

January 15, 2010--I started a Weekly Roundup post that didn't last long.  Interestingly, in the first one, 5 of the 6 articles I linked to had to do with the earthquake in Haiti. We had no idea at the time that we would be adopting from there 2 years later. 

March 6, 2010--I nominated Heather for the WWIB woman of the year.  Here was her nomination letter. 

March 10, 2010--I wrote one of the hardest posts I have ever written.  In my hometown of Oostburg, there was a lot of vitriol being expressed about the possibility of a mosque opening outside of town.  I wrote a post suggesting that the Christian ethic demanded a more compassionate response.  

September 2, 2010--Inspired by John Piper, I made my first attempt at poetry by writing "The cost?--my life".  This was another one of my favorite pieces of writing. 

October 12, 2010--I linked to 10 reasons why a daughter needs a dad from "The Resurgence."  This still, by far, the most widely read blogpost I have had.  I don't know why.  

January 7, 2011--I gave a summary of several Bible reading plans that I had reviewed over the previous days.  I still think getting into the word with one of these plans, or another, is a good idea. 

November 3, 2011--I summarized my review of several apologetics training programs I had done.  When the chips are down, go with Greg Koukl.  

February 26, 2012--I reflected on our trip to Haiti.  I cannot wait to have those two kiddos home!

June 8, 2012--Here was a recent post that I am glad I wrote.  It has to do with the concept of tolerance.  

Thanks for reading over the last few years.  I hope to continue to offer challenging posts for your consideration. 

No comments: