13 April 2013

Book Review: Humble Orthodoxy

Joshua Harris's most recent book, Humble Orthodoxy (2013), is an important little book. I say little, because it weighs in at 61 small pages plus an added study guide. It is really not much more than an extended essay or what one other reviewer called a series of blog posts.

Having said that, the words that fill these 61 pages are important for many Christians today, particularly those of us who seem to enjoy living in the subculture of reformed theology and the Christian blogosphere where humility is often seemingly absent. 

Early on in the book, Harris writes "it seems like a lot of the people who care about orthodoxy are jerks" (p. 3). Reading his words bites a little bit for me because I am someone who does care about orthodoxy (=right thinking/right beliefs) a great deal. I also recognize in myself a tendency to be arrogant about those beliefs; however, I think my year spent in the Centurions Program has helped me to slow down in how I respond to others.


Micah 6:8 reminds us to do justly, love mercy and walk humbly.  In other words, truth matters, but we must present it mercifully and humbly. 

No comments: