02 January 2013

Book Review: Because He Loves Me

In the last couple of years, I read three of Elyse Fitzpatrick's other books, Counsel from the Cross, Comforts from the Cross, and Give Them Grace (co-authored with her daughter) and was impressed with her love for the gospel.  I discovered Because He Loves Me (Paperback Edition): How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life (2008) on the suggested readings link at the Liberate website. 

This is the fourth book of Fitzpatrick's that I have read. I also watched her speak twice on the Liberate 2012 conference DVDs.  This sampling of her work convinces me that she rather narrowly focused.  Again and again, she goes back to the same topic.  One might think that would be a drawback, but its not, because the topic she continually addresses is the gospel of Jesus Christ.  She seems to side with the apostle Paul who said that he vowed to know nothing except Christ and him crucified (1 Cor 2:2). 

Specifically, Fitzpatrick dedicates 200 pages to helping her readers to understand how the gospel--Christ's "incarnation, sinless life, substitutionary death, burial, bodily resurrection, ascension, and eternal reign" (p. 36)--matter in the every day lives of believers.  I know that for me, I am at a time in my life when I cannot read enough books about the gospel. I love how different authors talk about Christ's justifying, sanctifying, adopting love for me.  I pray that I never get tired of the gospel.  This book was one excellent example of that type of reading.  I just pray that Fitzpatrick's one track mind stays on track. 

As of this writing, the Kindle version of this book is only $3.99, which is a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

No comments: